Saturday, March 26, 2011

pH, black soap, oh no!

I have more seriously started researching on hair, because apparently college hasn't given me enough things to do; and I discovered that its time I consider the pH balance of my hair in relation to its "healthiness". I keep trying to figure out what products will make my hair do this or that, but you know what? (and this might sound crazy) Maybe, just maybe, products are the problem! =0 

My hair follicles screaming: "Oh no! Not the products, we love the products!" 

Anyway, I decided to look into my main staple products to see if they're pH balanced, just for fun. I've ordered some pH strips because if you can believe this, the superfluous amounts of hair products I have don't have their pH online. >:-| I am feeling especially sarcastic in this post today. lol. BUT I did find the pH of Black soap online. The typical pH for hair according to KimmayTube (a youtuber) and a few other sites too (http://www.thenearlynaturalcollection.com/the_ph_story.php and http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5011400_ph-affect-hair.html) is 4.0-5.5. You are all going to be so heartbroken. Black soap a 10!! Which means its entirely too basic for hair! *crying* No wonder my ends can't get their act together! 

I'll have to do some more research but I'm pretty sure this means I shouldn't be using black soap for my hair, at least not without something acidic to balance it out. 

I'm now back to looking for a shampoo, something closer to hairs' normal pH. When my pH strips come in, I'll test the other products I currently have in rotation. There are so many variables to this natural hair thing! =(

1 comment:

  1. Yep... I'm very disappointed! I need to get those strips and start testing things out. That would probably explain why certain things don't work for me...

    ReplyDelete