Sunday, February 20, 2011

Is it a miracle worker?

This isn't my most recent purchase but I just returned back to it because I wanted to give it another chance before I told all my friends it was horrible. Good thing I did. I'm talking about Hawaiian Silky Miracle Worker 14-in-1.

I first tried this product immediately after I did the big chop because I saw a youtuber raving about it. I hated it! I tried it maybe three times and was over it. It didn't moisturize (as my hair was VERY dry when I first went natural) and it didn't work well with my IC gel either. BUT, these last couple of wash-n-go's I've used it for lack of a better alternative at the moment.

When I first used Hawaiian Silky, it was in November and it was cold! The product has glycerin in it and considerably dried my hair out more in the colder months, hence my disapproval. It left my hair dull and film-ish so I discontinued use. Since its been getting warmer in Georgia and I'm returning to my wash-n-go's, I've come back to the Hawaiian Silky and I love it! It does indeed moisturize my hair. The benefits listed on the bottle are: Moisturizes hair. (check!), Strengthens. (I don't know yet), Defines Curls. (check!), Softens Hair. (check!), Adds Shine. (sure, lol), Soothes Dry Scalp. (maybe, I don't have this problem), Reduces Breakage for Healthy Braids. (??), Repairs Chemical Damage. (??), Non-Greasy. (check!), No Drip. (check!), Detangles. (my favorite aspect of this product!), Increases Body. (I've got plenty of that and I don't really know if it added more), and Thermal Protection. (??) 

It comes in a spray bottle but I've found spraying a few pumps in my hand and then applying it works better. Its the first leave-in I feel safe combing my hair with since the consistency is pretty thick and lotion-y. It smells light but is a nice creamy application. This, along with a few other leave-in conditioners I've tried, has mineral oil in. I know a lot of naturals don't get down with mineral oil but I really don't mind it. Its honestly never had an awful effect on my hair and until it does, I'll keep using products that contain mineral oil. Besides, Hawaiian Silky has other ingredients that reap more significant benefits like root extracts.

I got my bottle from some beauty supply store awhile ago but the price sticker is still strangely intact. LOL. It was $5.99 for a 16 fl oz. I wouldn't call this product a miracle worker per say, and I'm still on the look out for a good leave-in; but this leave-in will definitely serve as a stand in until I find one, especially with the warmer season approaching!

                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment